In the beauty of my suroundings

Day 8..

Yesterday due to getting up late and other practical issues , I ended the day in Wellsford... somewhat short of my intended destination of Helensville. Today was going to be different. I had resolve and organisation, in short I was raring to go. Just as I went to add some air into my tyres however, I noticed that my pump had essentially disintegrated and was now totally useless. Bit of a problem if I had a flat. I knew there were bike shops in Auckland but given how the previous days have gone.. I probably wouldnt find it or make it there in time before closing...so I texted a friend (mark hobbs to the rescue again) as he had said if I needed anything today he could helo.

I had managed to find time to look at my cleats closely. The right cleat which was new since a couple days into the ride was slightly missaligned and I adjusted that and then made sure to tighten it up well. The other cleat was old and I set about replacing that one. Then as per Mark Davies suggestion I squirted a little oil in the pedal.  Then everything sorted before half seven,  I set off, testing first one cleat then the other, then both again. Seemed to be working very smoothly so set off with a little more confidence.

Now I knew that the first part of the day to Helensville was going to be murder... I even thought I had mentally prepared for it. I was behind schedule by about ... miles and in my head , if I could get to Helensville by lunchtime.., things might be ok.

The first hill was bad... the second had me walking... the third required a ten minute stop, leaning over my handlebars, unable to stop coughing.  The downhill sections in between were nice but so short lived and the tarmac was again of treacle variety. I was in despair mode again... I wont tell you how many fantasies I had of someone stopping and offering a lift to Auckland. In fact that passed a great deal of my time... wondering at which point I would down tools and go 'enough!'

The scenery on this section got better and better, mainly because I was climbing up and up. Eventually I reached 'scenic' viewpoint and boy what a view. Stretching out in the sunshine was an array of hills and lakes, with the bright blue sky stretching out above. It was such a stunning view that it snapped me out of the painful rotating headspace that I had become immersed in. Well briefly anyway. I talked to myself... 'you knew this was the worst bit of the day... gets easier after Helensville' ... but it would be so easy to just stop... you are never going to make it to Bluff... more tears.. at the thought of letting everyone down, then renewed determination, then despair. All going up and down in my head in a similar pattern to the hills I was riding up... a never ending cycle and possibly self-perpetuating madness!

I kept reminding myself that I had started early and that this was the worst bit of the day and that if I just kept turnkng the pedals.. I would get there. I didnt think of the rest of the day... just getting to Helensville.

Once again just as feeling at a low ebb two things cheered me up... firstly a text reminding me why im out here... secondly as I stopped (on a hill) I looked to my left and saw two beautiful racehorses and a foal... the scene was just so peaceful that it took the stress right out of me... just by gazing at them for a few minutes.

I pushed on and despite everything in my head I managed to get to Helensville and stopped for much needed food as bonking badly.

I knew that the road from here to Fred Taylor Drive (FTD), my road into the South of Auckland was less hilly and this was part 2 of the day. Mark had texted me to meet up on this road with a pump for me and so I kicked on. Lots of flat with a few hills ... and the inevitable headwind... it wasnt bad going. Soon I saw car headlights flashing and as at the bottom of a hill... I pointed to the top... if I had stopped at the bottom that would have been it for me. I struggled up the hill to find Mark waiting for me. It was so nice to see a friendly face...
.. I would have given him a hug but my greeting was me bent double over my handlebars coughing and spluttering... plus my clothes are really starting to smell so that wouldnt have been fair.

Eventually I recovered enough to thank him for the pump.. and watched him as he disappeared over the horizon... right .. here we go again

The hills from here to FTD were all managable and pretty soon I found the turn off.  And into civilisation I went. It was a good thing I was doing this now as all the traffic was comibg out of Auckland so I was going the right way. The roads were good... tarmac was the best Id had yet ... and although there were hills a plenty... suddenly my legs felt stronger...

I powered through South Auckland.. with plenty to distract me.. managed to avoid stopping in the first motel I saw by sheer force of will... and headed across the bottom of the city through mainly industrial areas. It seemed I picked a bit of a grimy part of the city to go through and it seemed pretty run down.

As I got to the other side of the city.. I began to wonder about where to stay tonight. It was getting late... despite the legs feeling ok as I pottered through the city I was now totally weary and just wanted to stop... but where?

I hadnt seen a single motel sign since that first one and was becoming more and more perplexed with the situation. I asked a few people but they werent sure either...

Then I saw a vacancy sign and swerved in... only to find that it was a care home facility!!!! They were very nice and did offer me a bed for the night... which I was almost tempted as it would have been funny... but at $135 .. slightly more than I wanted to pay. So continued on until I was pointed to a backpackers type place.

I went in and they found me a room after much debate... shared bathroom facilities and windowless but a bed for the night.

I regret stopping here in a way and not pushing on for a motel as I havent found the shared shower room and I had to carry my bike up the stairs but was so exhausted I dont think I could have gone one step further.

So tired.. and fell asleep before I finished this blog... hence delayed posting till this morning.

So I emerged triumphant yesterday but feel the need to say that there a still a lot of days to go and I am at the limit of what my body can take... I have already used up a rest day and each day has been a huge effort to keep going. I cant tell you how hard this place is to cycle in and I cant remember Route 66 being this tough... though maybe time has fogged the memory somewhat. I say all this because my greatest fear out here is letting down everyone who believes in me and wanted to alert everyone to the very real possibility that I may not be able to cycle all the way in the time I have set myself...

I WIll however...
Try my hardest every day and strive to take as much pain and suffering as humanly possible to get there...

I will Not give up trying...

Right... time to pack up for another day on the road.
LHS to you all and thank you for the support.
It was the only thing that kept me going yesterday. X

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 5... It's all downhill from here...

Day 17.. Blessings in the wind

Day 3... Hard hits