It is this that will define me!

Day 4

Following being fussed over last night I managed some sleep and woke up this morning with a somewhat better outlook on life despite the howling wind whistling around the walls of my cabin. The coughing was still there but the shortness of breath had improved and I thought to the words of a friend... pedal like fcuk today. And indeed thats what I intended to try and do.

My aimed for start time of half 7 became 8, as I pottered around, trying not to cough, ate a breakfast bar, drank some more honey and lemon and then proceeded to make myself 'weather proof'.  The blacks swans had come in from the lake - a sure sign of realky bad weather. Out came the rain and wind jackets, the overshoes and into the bag went my gillet. Off the bike clothes were packed as I transformed myself into something resembling a cyclist. Double checking phones (maybe triple checking that one), passport and money.

Arse cream on and ready to go, when the realisation dawned that I needed a wee. No doubt all the fluids overnìght coupled with the pattering of rain outside. This short trip involved an almost complete undressing and delayed my departure. As I looked towards the house I couldnt see any sign of movement so didnt get the opportunity to thank Russell and Helen again for their kindness.

The rain had now reached downpour levels and combined with a gusting side/head wind meant it was blasted into me at a rate of knots. The road was ok in terms of gradient with the kind of ups and downs I have already come to expect but my legs felt ok. The rest of my body hasnt quite caught up. Although not as bad as yesterday, I was still having difficulty breathing at times and every stop was interspersed with coughing fits. I was doing food and water better today, All I had to do was open my mouth for a few seconds and it would fill up in seconds with water from the sky... it was that wet!

My feet were already soaked but at least warm and although my legs and arms were wet my main trunk remained dry. Was just keeping my fingers crossed that Apidura bags lived up to their reputation. So far so good and first 15 miles covered ok. The sidewinds had required my utmost attention as they came blasting through the gaps and hit my bike with enough force to push me half way across the road. I have encountered this before and leaning at a 45 degree angle is the appropriate response. Of course this can change wuickly when a car, lorry or wind break comes up and suddenly you are fighting not to topple uncerimoniously into the ditch. Bet it all looks quite amusing actually and at points in this stretch, I was enjoying the battle, a bit of my phoenix emerging and encouraging me, a bit of my true self, and not the weak weary self that I seem to have brought to New Zealand. Encouraging signs for sure. But then douts resurfaced and the next ten miles I spent in a great debate with myself (often aloud),but more of that in a bit.

In the meantime I had my first, second and third encounters with the world renowned Logging Truck. It was not overly pleasant. 2 trailers long, piled high with the load, it came thundering up behind me, signalling its intent of going fast and close with a rev of the engine. A blast of spray hit me first followed by the swirling current it created. To its credit, it had moved out slightly, but moved in too quickly for my liking, leaving me with the thought that the road space was running out. However, probably practiced at being an ar#$ h#@€, he just scraped past in time, leaving me to spit out road water and gain a modicum of control of my somewhat wobbly bike. The second and third encounters were better as I knew what to expect and pulled well over on to the should, raised a hand in advanced thanks and held on tight. These two passed well around me and caused no problem. Sorted. These trucks are monsters and even when on the other side of the road create a big enough draft to disturb your course of travel.

The scenery now was greener with more dense brush, including a myriad of what only could be described as broccoli trees, as that is what they looked like. I cant claim credit for that description, it was what Mark had described them as on the way and it is uncannily accurate. I kept an out out for the famous Kauri trees and passed a place which advertised having them (8Km off route) with what was possibly a trunk of one of them outside. It was a pretty impressive trunk but not enough to make me detour to be fair, and may get another opportunity later on in the ride.

Back to the debate with myself. The sensible part of me was whispering that it was all about the long game. My aim is to arrive in Bluff on the 27th feb, and given my condition at the moment I could very well ground myself into the (wet) dust well before then if I didnt sort both my body and my head out.
I feel a shadow of myself at the moment (not asking for sympathy - just the way it is) and my head correspondingly is not playing ball. My head says go... go... go... my body says nope, nope, nope and then my head goes .. ok then. Its frustrating more than anything because my legs feel ok at the moment.

I am also aware that a lot of people have sponsored me to do this (thank you very much) and pride is very much as stake here.
Given all this, despite the whispering of my inner pride, I realised that Kaitaia was the furthest I should sensibly go today. With my head sorting through schedules and time, I decided to stop here, take the rest of the day as a rest day, and attempt to recuperate somewhat, with the long game in mind.

Whether it is the right decision, time will tell, as I may regret using a whole rest day up for only half a day and there may be a day further on where I need one more... but this is the game I choose to play. Assessing the situation and reacting as I see fit at the time. You can all mutter, told ya so later , and I might well agree but at this moment, it seemed to be the right idea, a notion reinforced by events shortly about to occur.

I rolled back up to the Orana motor inn, the one myself, sue and mark had stayed in on the first night up north. I didnt expect another discount but it would at least stop me having to explain why I had rocked up soaked through and out of breath! As I went through the door, a lady receptionist enquired what I wanted, and just as I dissolved into a coughing fit trying to explain, the guy who was there the first night walked through the door. He took one look at me, said 'dont worry we'll look after you' ushered me to a room said if there was anything I needed to let him know and when I asked about pizza in the area he offered to delay his own run into town whilst I got changed and then take me there and back. Bloody hell! Another injection of kindness from a stranger which is becoming less surprising the further I dip my toe into this country.
Peter, as it turns out his name was, is a brilliant chap who found me at a low ebb and helped pick me up. Faith in human kind given a bump up for sure!

And so began an afternoon of crap tv (Dr Phil anyone) and resting. I have discovered two massive bruises on my back, presumably where a plug has been digging in... thought it hurt!! Need to do something about that for tomorrow.

Then followed the live update... no film director me... and clearly should try and move my hand away from the camera... it seemed to work and added a bit of fun to my day. Hopefully other live updates will be outside in sunshine! If you missed it and want to catch up.. either find @OneChallenge on the periscope app or go to www.periscope.tv/OneChallengeAtATime

And so thoughts turn to tomorrow. I know I have a pretty stiff hill climb after leaving Kaitaia but then a bit of a downhill run. The weather isnt supposed to be great but needs must. Then its a ferry ride  towards oppononi. Sounds easy right😀

I will give it my all and fight to keep the pedals turning and hopefully take you all on the journey with me.

A massive thanks to my family and friends for all the support. It would have been a whole heap more miserable without it.

LHS as always for tomorrow I fight back!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 5... It's all downhill from here...

Day 17.. Blessings in the wind

Day 3... Hard hits