Day 2 - Transfer Day

Day 2 - transfer day

I had been coughing and spluttering most of the night.. slightly worried that Id wake everyone in the house. I did eventually drift off to sleep and when my alarm woke me I could hear Sue, Mark's wife, up and about so thought Id better go introduce myself... with a little trepidation as Id probably woken her up at several points in the night with coughing fits.

I neednt have worried because as soon as we'd got the formal introductions out of the way we were shortly chatting like old friends (she might say different 😀) but I instantly felt very welcome... was plied with coffee, breakfast... offered drugs (of the medicinal kind) and generally spoilt with attention and concern.

Once breakfast and shower were done it was time to pack up... assemble the bike and journey North. Assembling the bike was a whole heap easier than dissembling it and Mark kindly passed stuff.. held stuff and unwrapped stuff. In short order.. my bike... previously in bits now looked like the perfect machine to carry me over the 1500 miles. I got on and pedalled a short distance up the road and back again and boy did it feel good. Short lived however.. it ended in another coughing fit and 5 minutes of breathing a little heavily. At least the legs had felt ok after the swelling on the flight.

Just pedalling this short distance made it all suddenly seem real. 2 years of planning about to come to fruition. It was all a bit surreal. One minute its a dream... then reality and although I still have today for rest and recuperation... shortly I will be out on the open road and despite still feeling like crap.. I was really starting to look forward to it.

We took some photos to mark the 'off' and then it was time to go... bike safely stowed INSIDE the car. No more bike rack incidents risked!


Our first stop was at this cafe on the waters edge and while we were waiting Sue took me across the road to their local beach (as you do).
The sun was shining, the sky was blue and the slight breeze was just about right. In short absolutely perfect weather... a far cry from the cold wet weather I left behind me in Reading.

The hills rose up on the far side of the water and it looked idyllic. If someone had said to me... 'you cant do your ride.. you have to stay here for four weeks' Im not sure I would have been very upset... it was that nice.

Alas no one did... so once again we hopped in the car and headed for the Cape. This was a chance for me to see some of the roads I would be cycling on... assess their safety... surface quality and gradient. Also to get an idea of amount of civilisation around and how much to stock up on for the days of riding.

Mark pointed out how one minute we would be amogst civilisation, then it would just stop as if someone had drawn a line and said no more building after that.

The few towns we did pass were reminiscent of small town America in their layout and signage and type of building which was a little surprising. There seemed to be enough places to eat along the roads and although sparse in places there would be enough places to stop and stock up on food and water and the like.

The road was of good quality with a decent shoulder most of the way. The bit Mark and Sue were worried about was a long winding climb with sharp bends but as far as I could see, the few cars we saw were driving sensibly and not haring it round the bends. After this thete was even a long flat(ish) stretch which I could see my aero bars coming into play here. All in all it looked good and despite the climbs.. the stunning scenery would be enough to distract me. Hills and green brush for as far as I could see in every direction... unspoilt on the whole by man, with just the odd farm or campside interrupting the endless green vista.

The journey was a long but very pleasant one with a myriad of subjects covered. Its wierd how you can feel you know someone and just click. (Mark and Sue: you may disagree) and its here I would like to thank them both for embracing the randomness and going with the crazy (hopefully not fighting the fear this time) and helping out a complete stranger. Not everyone would do this and I am very grateful for both their help and for life causing our paths to cross.

We stopped for some lunch at a small town and although I really wasnt hungry did my best to eat something. Mark disappeared off to the car whilst I finished blogging from the day before... trying to keep you all updated.

The rest of the journey passed uneventfully and as we came in to Kaitaia the plan was for Mark and Sue to check in to their motel .. we grab dinner... and thenhead up to Cape Reinga. As Sue was checking in... Mark said 'Im going to make a suggestion... I think you should stay in a motel tonight here (rather than camp up at the Cape) and then we can drive up in the morning. Now normally my stubborn streak would kick in right about that moment... but the thought of a motel.. in my current state.. did sound pretty good. Bit unfair on dragging mark and sue up at some ungodly hour though as needed to set off by 8 am really... because the way I feel today means Im not going to be setting any speed records on the road tomorrow. As sue came back in the car.. I voiced my concerns about dragging them up early... all of which were quickly batted away. The voices of reason (Mark and Sue) outdid my stubborn streak very quickly and as me and sue went in to the hotel she said it was about $170. Slightly more than I had considered but needs must. There was a room available and as I got my monopoly money out to pay... the gentleman at the counter said that he would do me the room for just $60. Turns out Sue had already told him what I was doing and he kindly gave me a discount. How nice is that!!

So as I collapsed into a very nice motel room.. another coughing fit brought up what little I had eaten for lunch and left me feeling a bit washed out. The rest of the evening has been spent dozing and blogging. SPOT was activated but for some reason didnt register so Im trying again as we speak.

And so tomorrow it begins.... a little apprehensive still as always before starting something like this but once the wheels are turning it will all fall away leaving me and the road.

The phoenix will rise.. it might just take a day or so to reach full flight.
LHS


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 5... It's all downhill from here...

Day 17.. Blessings in the wind

Day 3... Hard hits