Day 10 - Every day I get up of the floor...

Day 10

Every day I get up off the floor
Keep on coming back for more and more
As the road opens up in front of my eyes
The only limitation is in my mind

Headspace well and truly sorted.

Today Was a good day!

 It started with the usual routine of checking messages... packing non bike clothes and wash kit away and pulling on my cycling outfit... which thanks to Rachael my cycling shorts were freshly laundered... helping with that all important hygeine issue. Chammy cream application.. must not forget that bit!

Then pack up the electrical kit and rucksack before filling up the waterbottles. Everything charged overnight. Phones into pockets.. SPOT on. Then nothing for it but to say goodbye to my safety blanket of Rachael and her family before heading out on the open road.

Something was different this morning... I had plans.. but more of that later. For now it was enough to trundle along enjoying the cooler air with a bit of misty rain as I wound my way round the quiet country lanes to the main road and Rotorua.. my first big waypoint of the day.

I knew there were hills... I didnt worry. I had set out nice and early and had plenty of time to cover the 73 or so miles to my intended campsite on SH5 between Rotorua and Taupo.

After an hour of cycling.. I breakfasted and in no time at all was back on the road. The gradient began to snake inexorably upwards. The hills were long but my legs felt good... as did my mind. Today was the day... push on... keep on schedule... and maybe if time do a bit of the tourist thing. That was my main aim. Push past Rotorua in time to go to Wai-O-Tapu (sacred waters). A spectacular area of geothermal activity. But although yesterday was about the journey.. today was to be a 'keep on schedule' day.

The road ran up and as it did bisected some lovely forest.. the bush encroaching on the road so much that at one point it created a tunnel through which the road passed. Beautiful but quite narrow and after yesterdays incident I felt a little nervous of the traffic. Sections of this road had no shoulder and my back light was blinking furiously to make me more visable.. especially amongst the trees.


Fortunately today was not hot to start with. Drizzle kept me cool as I kept climbing. The legs were good and despite the awful tarmac in places... I made good time up the hill towards Rotorua. The climb was miles in length but good gradient meaning that I didnt stop for long periods of the climb. I reckon there was a good ten miles of up ness. But instead of hating the up... I was actually enjoying it. The sounds od the bush penetrated through the Ipod mixing songs andthe sound of nature in what was actually incredibly harmonious. When I did stop.. the cough reared its ugly head

 Then came my reward... a long fast sweeping downhill with views of Rotorua lake. Thundering down.. I actually hit a high speed of 67.3mph (according to my Garmin).. Awesome!!!! About two thirds of the way down I noticed some poor sod... with panniers... on his way up. We exchanged greetings as we passed and then as we were shouting across the road..  I skipped over and cycled up to him (cyclists etiquette ... I was going downhill therefore the task of going over was mine).

Tom was a UK lad who had been touring round  a lot of NZ and before that Australia. We compared kit notes and routes and advised on each others day to come. Useful info!  It was nice to meet another crazy fool... I mean touring cyclist... I hadnt seen many weighed down as I was.. though didnt envy the panniers. Safe onward journey Tom. I look forward to following your adventures on fb!

It was time to go as time was ticking on and I turned and pointed downwards. Rotorua was a typical NZ town .. looks like a US one but the bonus for me was the 'town tarmac'. Smooth ... smooth... I will be dreaming of smooth tarmac when this is done!  I was waiting for the sulphur smell to hit me but was rather disappointed as a whiff only came my way once or twice. As I left the city (having had a very nice pie for lunch- steak and cheese before you ask!) I passed signs for a geothermal area .. one of many... and as I glamced into the distance you could clearly see a plume of smoke rising from the trees. I didnt stop at this one because I knew Wai-O-Tapu was closer to my route with only a few Km detour. And once again I found myself climbing... only Id lost my legs at lunch.
It took a few hills to find them again. On this stretch of road there was a bike specific path that ran alongside the road. Smooth concrete and running through areas of forested shade it seemed ideal. The sun was now burning hot and a bit of shade was very welcome. BUT... as I ran along this path.. I became a bit miffed. I was often climbing where the road was flat or down... thats not fair. The price to pay for smooth path perhaps but it was annoying me. Dont ask why... it just was. So I returned to the road and its jarring treacle tarmac and although my arse was not thanking me... my head was in a much better place.

So about my arse... I have now perfected the two cheek shuffle. A manoevour that enables a rider to continue peddling whilst sharing the pain over the two arse cheeks. It means at one time.. more pressure is on the left side... little shuffle whilst peddling and hey presto the pressure shifts to the other cheek... hey whatever works. By no means keeping me pain free but more bearable and without the constant stops... its a more efficient way of covering mileage.

So I had made pretty good time over the hills and out of Rotorua and when I reached Wai-O-Tapu I decided I had time to detour .. despite my other thoughts which I will discuss later.. I really wanted to see this.  The whole area is 18 sq. Km of boiling geothermal activity dating back 160,000 years. Id read about it... Id seen pictures... I wanted to stand on the edge of this natural wonder and breathe in the sulphur. So off the main road I went... down.. and down. I was groaning outwardly at the thought of climbing back up and almost turned round but I had come halfway so continued down.. the sulphur smell already permeating the air.

I got to the visitor centre where it initially looked like my plans would be scuppered as they wanted me to leave my bike in the bike rack outside... errr nope. Much pleading and begging later they let me put it round the side and promised to keep an eye on it. The girl at the till whispered that she would have given me a discount but her boss was watching... so I paid up and feeling a bit wierd without my bike... ran down the path... determined to see as much as possible in the shortest time possible as I had other fish to fry!

The first place I came to was Devils pool and it was bright green... incandescent even. It looked alien... how can water be that colour. ?

And so beautiful. The rocks around were brightly coloured yellow and orange which stood out in stark contrast to the grey rock on the surface. Steam rose all around... it was very primeordial in its nature and feeling. The next stop was the champagne lake and blue smoke rose from this bubbling lake with greens and orange hues all around.  As I went round the lake , the wind blew the steam.. now already cooled slightly,  through where I walked and the heat was immense... like walking into a sauna. Then came the walkway across the lake... bubbling holes in the rocks on the other side... geysers waiting to explode.


It really was a sight to behold but it was now almost half four and I needed to be on the road again. My planned night stop was around 15 miles away... but as I climbed the hills to here... the heat had distorted my thinking. Could I.... maybe if.... what about.... it could be possible!! Lets go for it. So the metal went down on the pedals as the gradient went down for a bit I was whizzing along... high from having seen the sights.

Onward to my planned campsite... 15 miles... some ups but a bit of down too...

10 miles... 5..... there it is!

I put my head down and sped right past... fully aware there was no more accommodation for at least 15 miles and maybe 20. I had been planning this all day. Tomorrow had looked to be an exceptionally long and tough day with over 8000ft of climbing spread out over approx 95 miles. If ... as I had planned... I could take a little more punishment today.. I would actually be ahead of the curve in this game that I choose to play.  I kept going till I was far enough past it that there was no point of return ... then gulped down a biscuit or two and re hydrated. Then back on it. The cycling gods gifted me good tarmac for 5 miles of nice downhill and I sped along... a bit too cockily perhaps because the cycling gods noticed and simultaneously delivered me a headwind... bad tarmac and uphill. The effort expended to go very slowly was enormous and I was beginning to regret my new found confidence... how the mighty fall. I was crawling... metaphorically on my hands and knees... when on my Ipod... with impeccable timing came Without a fight. For those who dont know the song... it goes like this

Try to stop me... I will carry on..
Try to oppose me.. I will prevail.
My life has been shot down
Im not ready to fall

The chorus being...

I'll never give it up WITHOUT A FIGHT

A special song for some of us and it gave me strength to push harder down on the pedals ... endure more pain... keep going... just keep the pedals turning. No room for doubt... no phone a friend... just me verses the road... my little battle for the day. I was still going slowly and the hills kept coming.. but the evening sunshine coupled with the song and the view stretching out over green fields to the volcanic hills and beyond... plumes of geothermal activity visable on the horizon.. meant none of the pain mattered. I would get there come hell or high water... however long it took.

I reached the place I thought there was a motel only to see it boarded up. I had to go further... into Taupo. No matter... I would do what was necessary and the road was not going to win today!

The first place I came to was an upmarket resort and I did hesitate given my state of road travelled.. fcuk em I thought... Ive cycled from the Cape. So in I went and cheekily asked for a discount. The chap at reception got his manager who came out and kinda looked me up and down and suggested a cheaper alternative down the road... I said this was fine and she asked me to prove what I was doing as normally people apply by email. Lol. I gave her a card and did my charity spiel ... thinking that it would have been a lot of effort just to get a discount! In the end she offered $30 off the price and suggested I leave my bike in the porters lodge... that was her funniest yet. I graciously refused that offer and went round to my luxury room and immediately jumped in the shower.

The dirt and grime washed off... only I scrubbed hard in one place only to realise it was a mass of bruise I wash trying to wash off.
Braving the restaurant in my filthy off bike clothes.. I asked if I was dressed ok as they had a dress code... i explained what I was doing and as a woman walked past she said .. of course its alright and grinned at me.

Dinner was nice... healthy greek salad.. bruchetta and some chips. Just the right amount. As I was almost done a gentleman on the opposite table asked if I was actually doing what it said on my t- shirt so I had a nice chat with him and his friends about the ride before running back to my room to start charging stuff and reading everyone's lovely messages of support.

I have found the previous days tough going as my body wasnt doing what my mind wanted it to do... today I found some strength and in part that came from all of you... you are as much a part of this journey as I am.

Today hurt but I am now around 20 miles ahead of schedule.... wriggle room.

Today I prevailed... these dreams are coming true.

If you are enjoying these blogs and feel you can sponsor me... please go to www.justgiving.com/GoWithTheCrazy

The phoenix is rising... this journey is for the phoenix.

LHS



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 5... It's all downhill from here...

Day 17.. Blessings in the wind

Day 6... Silence the Gods