Day 11... In the beauty of my surroundings....

Day 11 In the beauty of my surroundings...

.... I completely bonked. But that bit comes later.

Today was a day of two parts... feeling great and feeling awful.

Part 1
It started off well with a quick and organised pack up and check out of the posh hotel and on the road by half seven. The morning was misty and cool but you could tell that the sun was going to kick in with a vengeance as it was already burning the mist away.

The road that I had taken to find accomodation was the one through Taupo. I had been thinking of detouring that way anyway because there was a .. Giant bike. Now Ive seen the worlds largest rocking chair and the largest Route 66 sign... it would be rude not to pass up this opportunity.

It was pretty cool and my bike looked quite pathetic next to it. Painted in polkadot king of the mountains livery... probably only of interest to cycling nuts like me... it was nevertheless an early morning sightsee tick off.

So then rolled down to Taupo for breakfast... smooth town tarmac meant the wheels rolled well. Breakfast bacon buttie and chai latte set me up for what could be a long hard day and I was pretty nervous about it. Even having done the extra mileage yesterday wasnt going to help much in this ambitious plan for the day. Borne out of necessity... there being nowhere to stop between Taupo and Eskdale... 84 miles and over 5600ft of climbing to face... like I said... it was going to be a long day. Add in what was to reach 30 degrees C and it could be a recipie for disaster. But that was to come....

From Taupo there was a steep climb out of the town as seems to be the way and then I was on SH5... the long road to Napier. Very quickly I had gained a huge amount of elevation and was out in the middle of nowhere. The road bisected forestry land and pine trees were all around me... filling the air with their scent.

The road was reasonably smooth tarmac in most places and rolled up and down... nothing big... just enough to stretch the legs... which were feeling ok at this point. I was surprised because yesterday had been a mammoth day of around 94 miles. I loved this bit of the country. After the forest came the endless grazing meadows... with the mountains in the distance.. the sky a brilliant blue with whisps of white cloud floating gently through the sky. An idyllic place. I then decided to put plan 1 into action for the day.



As my cough is gradually getting better I can almost sing whilst cycling and given the road was ok.. thought it was time to record a video of me singing 'It's alright... It's ok' as I had shaken David Johnston's hand in an agreement to do with this... as we speak im trying to upload it but not sure of the sound quality and the internet connection here with my TEP device is a bit slow.. so they may have escaped... for now! It did however make me smile trying to record it.

I pottered along at a reasonable pace and the thought crossed my mind that today was gling bloody well. No sooner had I thought it.. did I curse myself as there is nothing better that the cycling gods like to do more than laugh at a cocky cyclist! But more of that later.

Did I mention it was hot. This part of the road took me until 11:30 to cover and I had already emptied one water bottle. I knew of a couple of cafe along the route to refill but it still had me concerned.

At around 11:30.. I pulled into the first of these... the next was a long way down the road.. so decided to have an early lunch. I ordered a couple of spring rolls and a can of fanta and went outside to sit on my still very sore arse. Whilst I was there I got chatting to a lovely Swedish couple about the charity and the ride ... Pia and Mats had been touring around in a camper but were due to go back home soon. I gave them my One Challenge At A Time card and told them about the blogs. Pia wanted a photo of me and my cycling top with the LHS logo.  I did enjoy chatting to them. They asked how they could sponsor me and I directed them towards my www.justgiving.com/GoWithTheCrazy and then Mats presented me with a rather large NZ$ bill. Such kindness from strangers yet again. Completely restores faith in humanity when you meet people such as this couple. They reminded me of Faith and Tom, who I met at a cafe on Route66, the same kindness of spirit. As they got up to leave, Mats gave me his card. On it was the quote ' It's not the destination.. It's the journey'  I couldnt believe it.. given I had just written a blog post on the same theme. Do you believe in coincidence?? 

I got one of those hair on the back of my neck moments... wierdly it seemed as if our paths were meant to cross. So Pia and Mats.. if you read this... it was wonderful to meet you. Safe travells  home
I hope this journey provided stories and memories for years to come.



As they left.. the waitress ?owner of the cafe came out and donated to the ride.. went back inside and came out with an ice cream for me. I had been double whammied with kindness and generosity and it brought tears to my eyes.

Time to get back on the road.. because although cockily I thought today was a bit of a breeze there were still a few miles to go and I was aware of the fickle cycling gods.  As the next ten miles ticked down.. the scenery changed.. no longer pasture but changed into sandy gorges. It reminded me of New Mexico with the colours..

The gradient began to go upwards as I climbed into the mountain range that I was to cross to get to Napier. As the road climbed.. the view got more breathtaking. Mountains covered with green foliage stretching down into the river gorge. The road cut through with high sandbanks on either side and I began to sweat... buckets.  So much so insects were landing on me for their daily water uptake. The legs started well and climbed well and the confidence came back  Too soon. The hill climb went on and on... reaching ever skywards. The heat was all consuming and my preoccupation with water grew as the levels depleted. The first big climb done.. there was an ample downhill reward but before long I was climbing again.

This climb was a proper mountain road barriered climb. I was worried about trucks and my legs went into overdrive. I had to stop a few times but was careful not to do that on bends.. which the trucks come haring around.. using every inch of the road including the shoulder.. engines screaming to haul their massive loads.
I was lucky on this climb.. no trucks passed me and I stopped at the top to shove some calories in. A couple stopped in  a layby next to me and the gentleman enquired if id just cycled up... yup... fair play he said. Just then two logging trucks roared up and I was able to get some good pictures of these workhorses. Ironically it has been pointed out that I was standing next to a wooden cross whilst photographing the probable culprit!

Part 2

That climb done... I screamed down the other side... racing so fast and having a whale of a time. It was short lived. F$#@^&g massive climb number 2 appeared. ...
And my legs failed... imploded...  became a jellied mass thaf I could no longer control.

It was hike a bike time. At least I would keep forward and upward momentum. So I walked and then tried to cycle again... no good. Complete bonk. So I sat on the side of the road and stuffed more food into my mouth.. rationing the water slightly as starting to run low. Still couldn't cycle so walked the rest of the climb reasoning that it took as long as it took. I knew I had some goid downhill after this for a bit. The downhill came as promised and restored my legs a little but the cafe I was expecting was shut and I had very little water. Nothing for it but to push on. A bit of flat with some smaller inclines thrown in and it was getting later... would I be crawling out of the mountains after dark??

I came across a couple stopped in their van. I had been staring at the mountain wall looming in front of me... becoming more and more aware that there was yet another test laughing at me. The wated was almost gone and the sun was still intense even though it was 1500. I asked the couple if they had a bottle of water I could buy and the lady just gave me the rest of their supplies... half of my bottle. It was something. I headed on up... desperately aware that my legs were at this point of the day not equipped to handle such a climb. I got halfway up... turned and below me... stretched out for miles was a stunning vista of mountains and green bush.

Once again I could go no further... too steep and my legs were not responding to commands. So I hiked a bike again. Resigned to a very late finish and possible darkness. But I walked quickly and got to the top by 17:40. Which lect 25 miles of mainly downhill to the coast and my planned campsite in Eskdale. The worst was over. I still needed more water but there was nowhere to resupply so I ploughed on down.

My heart sank every time it saw a 'passing lane' sign as it deemed the hill steep enough to need one. Crawling on I crested another 4 passing lane type hills.. not as bad as the other one.. but energy sapping nonetheless. It took an age... my throat was burning dry and as I finally got to Eskdale.. the sign for the campsite loomed. I knew it was away from the road.. but couldnt even see it .. so decided to continue on another 3-4 miles until I found a motel.

Where I got the strength to keep the pedals turning.. i have no idea but turn they did until I reached Bay view... dived into the bar and got the last cabin. Thank fcuk for that as couldnt have gone any further.
So once again I made it and looking at my schedule .. was plannjng to stop further back in Te Pohue but hadnt seen any accomodation there anyway. So Im ahead of schedule witb an 'easy' 42 miks to do tomorrow... unless I push on and aim for Dannevirke which is tempting - another 80+ mile day.

Today hurt... a shiteload in fact and there were times when I thought I wouldnt make it.. but I did.

There was much beauty in my surfoundings today but this was eclipsed by the beauty in the kindness of strangers.. making this about the journey once again.

Face Everything And Rise... F.E.A.R

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 5... It's all downhill from here...

Day 17.. Blessings in the wind

Day 3... Hard hits