Day 5... Stalked!

 I had intended to get up very early and catch a bus to Carache... one of the places to get a guide for the National Park, intending to maybe hike aroumd for a day and see what I could see, but Arturo had told me that it wasn't really worth it... especially as I had 3 days in the park anyway.

So i went kayakking again. I got up early and went down to the kayak place in time to take advantage of the full tide this time. and explore the mangroves properly.

I kayakked right down the mangrove area, down the Rio Plantares. It was a boiling hot day but I wore a t shirt this time instead of a vest top and made sure that I had suncream on all exposed areas.

It wasnt as good as last time though as the full tide meant the crocs weren't as easily spotted, not driven out by the lower tides.

I did startle one off the beach and watched it swim away but sightings of wildlife,  apart from the ever present and very noisy Mcaws, were few and far between!

Mcaws at least have the decency to have an easily recognisable squawk, so that there is absolutely no confusion about which bird you are looking for.  That and being pelted by fruit!

Slightly disappointed, but pleased with the kayakking itself, I headed ashore. I had a tricky docking as the waves were crashing against the sea wall but managed to haul myself and the boat ashore.

I went for some lunch or a late breakfast and then spent the rest of the afternoon chilling in preparation for the night walk with Adonis. The weather had been behaving itself and it was fingers crossed for this evening!

I went into my room. and sat on my bed before suddenly moving quick, I had almost sat on a very cute little gecko. I rescued him and popped him outside and watched as he scurried away. Then whilst I was sitting chilling, a group of Cappuchin monkeys wandered through the grounds of the hostel and I just sat and watched in joy that I could just sit and see animals like this.

Soon it was time to wander down to see Adonis. I had invited Susan, the lady from. newcastle to come along and introduced her to Adonis.

We set off insearch of the boa that he had seen a day ago on his property but despite a lot of searching, still couldn't find it. Even though it probably hadn't gone far, it was impossible to find. So we wandered further out... juancha came out again on being called... such a beautiful crocodile and we could see the shine of her babies eyes in the water. Adonis said she wouldnt attack us as he was here but if anyone came this close to her babies without him., she wouldn't hesitate as they are very protective mothers. 

I felt very safe with Adonis. Never once, despite how close I was to Juancha, did I feel unsafe.

We went on, and every time we came  to another opening to the lagoon area, we could see juancha following us. Again she came up into the bank as Adonis called her. She had even left her babies to follow him. amazing!

We then went to another part and found Yoyo, the Caiman. She also came when Adonis called her and once again we could see her babies eyes in the water. Shorter snouted than the crocodile, they are easy to tell apart...

we stood there for a while admiring Yoyo, when suddenly Susan turned and shone her torch back down the path that we had come on.... she had heard a noise and her torch had picked. out 2 shining eyes!

It was juancha who had not only followed but followed Adonis on the land path!

He was concerned because her and the Caiman could fight and he broke off a branch to use to tap her on the nose with and try and deter her whilst allowing Yoyo to make an escape.

She approached very closed to us... myself and Susan standing behind Adoni, watching him as he tapped juancha on the nose... she bit at the stick... her jaws clamping down hard. He didn't seem. at all concerned, and therefore neither was I. I was far more excited, being this close to a croc... essentially about a ft and a half max!!

So Cool!

Eventually Yoyo disappeared, and we left Juancha to make her own way back to her babies and carried on our walk.

We met one more croc, Ninsha who was slightly more well behaved than Juancha, just coming out of the water to say hello and then. diving back in again. 

We walked around some more but unfortunately found no sign of the Fer De Lance or the boa but Adonis promised to text if he did find it before I left. 

Amazing evening... stalked by a crocodile!! How many people can say that? 😁


For the full video of Juancha stalking us on the path, go to my you tube channel at the following link. There you will find other videos from my time in Costa Rica



















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 5... It's all downhill from here...

Day 17.. Blessings in the wind

Day 3... Hard hits