Day 3 - Rain stops play

 Wimbledon week... I should have known that being British meant that wherever I was in the world, Rain would stop play at some. point.

I woke up to an already sticky hot day, it was only 0600. I had a plan to hire a kayak today and explore the mangroves so after another excellent breakfast I headed over to the beach where I found a kayak for hire place. The tide was fully in and a perfect time to go out... but the place was still shut! I wandered up the beach and on my way stopped to pat a thin looking dog. I often joke that I hate dogs, which is true of the snarling growling strays (or badly behaved ones with badly behaved owners) and the ones that try to bite me as I cycle past, or chase me down a cobbled hill in the dark (thank you Ecuador!) but as a general rule I have a soft spot for all animals (mosquitos being the only exception), especially the lost and hungry looking ones.

This one looked up at me. with big eyes and then as I set off down the beach, she followed me. No matter where I went there she was at my heels. It was like she had decided to pick me and that was that. All well and good bit I was starting to feel really bad for her and wondering what to do if she followed me. all the way back to where I was staying. Could I buy some dog food and give it to her. She seemed so thin and looked so miserable. Or perhaps I  was making that up and she was perfectly happy trotting after me for a little while.

I walked back to the kayak place which was now open where thankfully the dog trotted away from me and the nagging guilt I was starting to feel was assuaged.

The kayak was hauled down the slipway onto the beach and I hopped in. I paddled out and then sat there floating for a minute whilst I applied copious amounts of suncream, factor 30 in case you ask.

That done I headed towards the mangroves, noting that the tide had turned and was on its way out... not ideal for mangrove exploration. However I paddled on. The water was calm but not very clear, presumably because of the recent rains.

I hopped around sandbanks and the ever encroaching beach until I reached the start of the mangroves.

I paddled slowly, keeping an eye out for any movement in the roots or branches. Yes I saw some herons... one tiger heron (I think) and a white one of some kind. I paddled onwards. And then I saw a furrow in the water, heading straight for me. Could it be??

yup it was!

A small crocodile was swimming straight at me! I stopped paddling and sat there quietly watching this graceful predator make its way silently through the water. With barely any movement of its tail it propelled itself at some speed and then headed around me. I started to follow as best as I could whilst filming it.

I saw several other furrows in the water around me. I reckon there were 3 or 4 just chilling in that area. Unfortunately the tide was going out fast and both me and the crocs were forced to head for deeper water. This is where my lack of knowledge about the area proved a problem. I wasnt sure if the entire inlet and mangrove area became beach when the tide was out and although being stranded wasnt a life or limb problem, it would mean dragging a heavy kayak a long way to water, so I reluctantly headed back out into deeper water. I decided to paddle round to the other beach and scan the shoreline for any life. Then I realised my legs and shoulders were burning. More sunscreen... practically swimming in it!

Despite my efforts around the next beach, I saw no wildlife. I think they were all taking a siesta! So I began the paddle back. It was harder work as the tide was still going out but eventually I hit the beach and handed back my paddle and lifejacket chuffed with my close encounter of the scaly kind.

I then headed into town and stopped off at one of the tour offices. Despite the reports that the rain meant snorkelling wasnt so good, I did want to give it a go. I know that Tortuguero isnt the best place for snorkelling so best to do it here. 

I chatted to thw guy and we settled on a date for a dolphin spotting/snorkelling tour. He seemed pretty confident that I would find rays and turtles so fingers crossed. I also chatted to him about my snake hunting efforts and he mentioned that his father goes out and finds them all the time I took my opportunity and asked if he would take me out, so we sorted that too. Bonus!

I headed back to La Palapa where Im. staying to recharge the phone and take a bit of a break before my night walk with Adonis. And then....

Lightening and thunder and the loudest downpour ever... and it kept going.

I groaned... that was going to put paid to my plans for later. The rain was relentless and the wind whipped through the trees. I sat in the shelter of the communal area chatting to the owner whilst the downpour continued. The paths were now rivers and I realised that it was not going to stop. I texted Adonis, who agreed that it would be better to postpone until friday so I sat writing the blog and watching the rain come down.

Fingers crossed the rain abates tomorrow 😜🐍🐸








Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Day 5... It's all downhill from here...

Day 17.. Blessings in the wind

Day 3... Hard hits