Day 4 - Some you win... Some you don't!

 So the day started with the usual breakfast of pinto, eggs, plantain and cheese. It works even if you think it shouldn't!

I had looked at the map and found an area with what looked like a trail through a bit of the jungle. I wasn't that far away, certainly within walking distance, so I packed a bag, made sure I had enough water and set off through the town and then turned left along the main road. It was already ridiculously warm and there was no shade at all. It reminded me of a trek I did in florida which damn near killed me!. Still it wasn't that bad... at least not yet.!

I turned off the main road a mile or so later and headed up a gravel road. On either side were houses, tin roofs, the obligatory fence with the dog behind it. They all had nicely kept gardens and either a motorbike or car parked under cover. 

The sun beat down mercilessly and I was beginning to wonder about the sense of this little foray. On I went and the houses got fewer. I was not far from the track but dragging my feet a little. I also had in mind that I would be once again trekking through the forest tonight and wondered whether I should save a bit of energy for that. I stopped in some meagre shade underneath a tree full of chattering green parrots. Should I turn round? My curiosity got the better of me. though... I should just see what was around the corner! 

And then I heard a noise, loud, echoing  around... it could be dogs... or was it howler monkeys. It came from the direction of the jungle so I sped up, weary legs and heat exhaustion forgotten. 

Rounded the corner and started up the hill. The noise was closer, a cacophony of sound. I moved slowly towards the sounds and then could see the tree branches crashing around. 1... 2... 3... loads of Howler monkeys were leaping around the branches in search of the fruit they liked. I counted around 8 to 10 in all and spotted 1 mother with the baby wrapped around her and another baby that had been let out a bit further and was exploring by himself.

I sat down entranced on the road and watched as the little family group played and ate and interacted above me. The father of one of the babies went over to the mother and sat down next to her and the baby, seemingly content with his little family group. Others continued to gather fruit, using their tails to anchor them to the sturdier branches whilst they leaned out to get the best pickings. I could have sat and watched them all day. I stayed quiet and still but they did not seem to mind me watching them.

After about 1 hour I decided that I had better make tracks to get back and reluctantly got up and. said goodbye to the Howlers. Just the Cappucin monkey to go to tick off all the monkey species in costa rica.

The walk back seemed quicker than the walk there, possibly because the clouds had now. come over a bit, giving me respite from the beating rays. I arrived back at the hostel and collapsed on the outside sofa. I got chatting to a lady from Newcastle and whilst we were talking, a movement caught my eye. There... bouding its way through the trees and onto the roof of the communal space was a cappuchin monkey! What perfect timing!

All 4 species of monkey seen 😁

I spent the next couple of hours rehydrating and reading my book in preparation for the trek tonight... No easy treks around here.

I got picked up by Arturo's wife and daughter and we drove back along the palm oil plantation road to their house. Arturo then jumped in the car and we once again drove up the gravel mountain roads to La Tarde, Eduardo's home. 

Also with Eduardo tonight was Marcello. For someone who loves snakes, Marcello was practically a god. He spends his time tracking bushmaster snakes, Plato Negro in spanish, a highly venemous snake, not easy to find, and then electronically tags them. He is involved in research about their movements and behaviour and is an extremely interesting guy to talk to... and he was taking myself and arturo into the jungle today. If ever we were going to find a Fer De Lance or a Bushmaster, this was the guy to do it! 

The sunset from. La Tarde was spectacular, as was spectacular, as was the dinner served up. The traditional pinto with meat and a rice pudding with a twist which was really good.

Then snake hooks in hand we went looking for the Terciopelo! Snake hunting is a patient game, one where more often than not, you come away disappointed. Many a time I have wished that I liked some animal that could be more easily found. But also in many ways, it is the searching where you find the pleasure, and the enjoyment when you do find a snake is all the more heightened, because you have worked hard for the result.

Many people dislike snakes without any real discernible reason. They are slimy... no they are not... they are cold... not always, sometimes they can be warmer than you or I... they will kill you... some of them will but snakes, like all other animals would rather run away than confront you  Biting is a last resort, usually when cornered or protecting babies... and snakes are no different.

That said, I was glad of the rubber boots, as the Fer De Lance is very well camouflaged and it would be easy to tread on one, especially a baby!

We shined our torches in every crevice, tree root, branch and hole we could see on our root. We moved slowly and with care. Arturo spotted a snake... a light brown one, non venemous, pretty fast and wriggly!



It was a beautiful snake, sleek and shiny. I was happy that we had spotted at least one snake even if it wasnt on my top 3 😁

We also found a really curious thing

It looked like an insect that was carrying around a flower... but it was actually fungal spores. 

The fungus infects the insect and it beccomes neurologically affected. This makes the fly or whatever insect it is, bit down on a plant and hang upside down, immovable. The fungal spores then grow and drop down from the fly onto other insects... and the cycle starts again. It was just one amazing example from. this holiday of how plants use other plants or the animals to spread and propagate the species


We saw quite a few other insects and spiders... a nice tarantula in the middle of the path and a stick. insect amongst others.. but the search for the terciopelo was not fruitful. Despite many having been found here over the last few weeks, they did not wanna come out and play today. And so it goes sometimes with snake hunting. They are invariably well camouflaged and hide very well in the leaf litter and we were not lucky enough even with Marcello's highly trained eye.

Some you win... some you lose. I had seen many cool things on the night walks with Arturo and didnt go away disappointed as I had a 3 day trek in corcovado coming up, hopefully luck would prevail there!

I went home tired and happy. Eduardo had also said that there was a chance that the corcovado trek would start at La Tarde. He had a baby fer de lance being brought to him which he would show me if the trek did start at La Tarde. So that would be an added bonus.

Sleep came quickly after the excitement and strenuous snake hunting and I looked forward to what the next few days would bring!

Pura Vida









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 5... It's all downhill from here...

Day 17.. Blessings in the wind

Day 3... Hard hits