Day 7... If it was easy....

 I awoke, refreshed, having heard no stags overnight and with a dry tent waiting to be packed up again.

I took my time getting ready, nit completely sure what the day would hold. A plan had been formed for the next few days... basically today I would cycle to the campsite recommended by Arjan and Tamara... According to both them and my maps, it looked like there would be a bit of climbing to do but given that I expected the first half of the day to be one glorious downhill, I thought it would be fine.

I set off, sun out as usual and waved goodbye to the peaceful lake in the mountains. I started to wend my way downhill.

The scenery I descended through was a beautiful gorge with the sound of the river audible from up high. The road swept round hairpins and over tight bridges with some spaces fairly narrow... but there were hardly any cars in this place so I often had the road totally to myself. I grinned as I swooped downwards.... the cycling gods will have their payback for this I thought. 

The high rock sides of the gorge stretched upwards with the pine forest blanketing the hillsides, spreading their scent all around. Fresh pine, fresh air and a downhill to match! Lucky me. 

I came down to another lake though this one was much more impressive, the forest stretching to the lakeside and only one building around it. An old church sat on. the side of the rock perched above the lakeshore. All in all it was a breathtaking sight and I stood there for quite a few minutes wishing I could put my tent up here (forbidden in this area apparently).

Still, given I still had a reasonable distance to go today if I was to make it to this recommended campsite, reluctantly I pushed off again, ever downhill. I knew there would be a stong in the tail as I descended through old mountain villages looking as if they had stood since the Roman times.

Eventually I reached the bottom of the valley and now turned to make my way along the side of it on a slightly quieter road. Still not really any up, so I contented myself with looking at all the more expensive houses. Sitting on the hillside, with large gates, double garages, possibly a swimming pool... not a bad place to end up.

The road dipped down to go over the bridge followed by a steep up, when something pinged in my right knee... uh oh. I tested it by putting weight onto the pedal with it... ouch that hurt. I got to the top of the little incline onto the main road which would take me to the next valley, where the campsite was. This was the busiest stretch of road I had seen so far, but there was a semblance of a haed shoulder and I knew that I did not have far to go on this stretch. I did stop at a cafe but they seemed not to be serving food yet (12:00 seemingly the magic time. for food service around here), so I sat and had a can of coke and rested my knee a little.

Then back on the road and into the next valley. My knee was feeling ok which was just as well with what was to follow... PAYBACK!

As I started up the road, I hit roadworks. These are generally a pain on the bike as you are often only halfway through when the oncoming traffic starts coming at you. It is usually on an upwards slope... yup... and it is usually very hot so you are sweating buckets... yup. 

All the ingrediants for payback. I struggled up... the incline not particularly steep but enough to hurt a bit. I stopped out of breath and on the wind I could hear the beginnings of laughter forming and spreading around the ether... the cycling gods were having their fun today. The road climbed and climbed and climbed.... and climbed... never ending... relentless and merciless.

Many stops were required.... 

It was hot with the sun beating down and whenever I stopped I tried to find a little piece of shade.

Eventually I saw atop a mountain (of course) the village...

my map indicated a few more hairpin bends to get up there but I was nearly there....

More laughter ensued. 

And then, as if sent by the cycling gods to wrap me in more misery, appeared a lycra clad (lime green too) gentleman... older... who promptly overtook me.  I shrugged. He was on an electric bike..  no problem for him.  Except then he circled back, having seen me stop. Vai, vai he said.

Errr nope... off he went again, motioning me to follow his wheel..... errr no

a) Given that I have kit on my bike and no motor, I am not going to be able to follow up a mountain

b) Piss off

c) Is it just because Im a girl that you think I need help

d) piss off

In case you hadn't gathered I was a little unhappy....

he circled round yet again... using google translate I politely pointed out that he gad a motor on his bike, that I had lots of kit and in fact the point of it WAS the struggle. 

I then less politely but with a smile on my face told him to 'vai' and he took the hint and took off up the hill.

He had somewhat ruined the experience of this climb for me. I had been happily in my own world of pain and suffering before he interrupted.... 

Onwards I went, chuntering to myself... yes I was still going upwards. A few more hairpins and I reached the village, onyl to realise that it was quite the village I thought it was...  the campsite was just outside the next village along/up. I was going to stop to get food but as it was almost 3pm, the restaurants were getting ready to shut until later so still no food for me.

I continued up, by now a little tired and blaming fully Arjan and Tamara, who had glossed over the mammoth leg straining, back breaking, soul destroying climb that it would take to get to the campsite, referring to it as a 'little bit up'!

I stopped to eat the last of my cheese rolls and to stuff down my gob a few energy tabs (thanks kim b) to try and get me over the last little bit. It wasn't far but every muscle in my body hurt, every corner, every bend in the road came and went with no sign for the campsite. Just around the next fcuking corner, I kept saying as each bend produced another bend.    the next one, it must be the next one....

Finally, the sign for the canpsite and my legs pretty much stopped working. The final gravel path and of course a sharp incline up to the reception.. I had made it! I put my bike on the grass... about to collapse when a beep of a horn made me look around....

There, waving and smiling were Arjan and Tamara in their campervan!! If I'd known they were coming up here I'd have thumbed a lift. It made me giggle... the people who I was cursing for pointing me in this direction were literally now right behind me. It was quite funny!

But I had made it and the sense of satisfaction that flowed through me made every aching muscle worthwhile. That is why I climb mountains!

If it was easy, there would be no point! 

The next few hours saw me setting up my tent and making pasta in my Brewkit (fantastic piece of kit) and watching the sun descend over the mountains. I had earnt this with the ride today... 

Tomorrow I will stay here and hopefully find a walk in the nature reserve before packing up on Sunday and heading downhill to the train station in Sulmona and wending my way back to Rome.

















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 5... It's all downhill from here...

Day 17.. Blessings in the wind

Day 3... Hard hits