Day 5... oh what a night

 Day 5… oh what a night…. 


So when I left you, I had survived the thunderstorm and the river that flowed through my tent… that was only the beginning of my night from hell. I basically wrote off all my kit as soaked through and thought that I would deal with it in the morning… so I snuggled down in my sleeping bag and closed my eyes… itit wasn't long before I opened them again with a start… the sound that I heard on the mountain the other night was back though this time I knew what it was… the bellow of a stag… bloody thing. majestic as he was I was not appreciating the noise he made.  It continued through the night… sometimes far away and others closer. Once the noise came from just outside my tent and made me jump, expecting one of those large antlers to pierce a hole any minute… it didn't… but sleep was not easy and through the whole night there were bellows and answering calls from all the deer in the region it seemed. 


I awoke to a dry sunny morning… my plan was to stay here for another night and dry out all my kit today. It took a few hours of placing my kit in the sun and turning it to make sure it all dried. In the meantime I chatted with a nice couple from Holland next door… it passed the time nicely. When all the stuff was dry, I decided that although my legs could do with a rest, it was better to keep them moving somewhat so packed up a rucksack, made some sarnies and headed out for a short walk.  I went to find the lake down the road… unfortunately once out of the village, I had to walk on the road to the lake but it was so quiet that barely a car passed me. The lake was lovely but there was no path along the shore so I had to settle for a forest walk up to the town on the hilltop that I had passed through yesterday. It was nice to be in the shade and once again alone but I soon got to the top… still alone.. the town could have been deserted… no shops open… 

I went up further onto a path up a hill top… it was steep but the view from the top was lovely.. as well as the beautiful lake I could also see darker clouds coming over the mountain tops and the wind started to blow. It looked like rain may well fall again and I didn't want all my newly dried kit to be soaked again so with that in mind I turned back and took a shorter route back to the campsite…. it didn't  rain in the end so I got time to make some pasta with the fantastic bit of kit that is the Brewkit by Alpkit. I will be doing a full kit review blog for those of you that are interested. or. maybe a vlog… when I get back. 

Its been a nice calm day and although its only 16:30, I may try to get a bit of rest before the stag starts bellowing again… 

Back on the road tomorrow! 










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 5... It's all downhill from here...

Day 17.. Blessings in the wind

Day 3... Hard hits