Everglades Adventure - Day 7 Primordial

 My last day in the Everglades and I could think of nothing better to do than to go out on the canal on a kayak. It seemed to be a fitting way to complete the adventure before I headed up north to meet my newly found cousin (long story) 


I drove to the marina and today was my lucky day…  the manatees were out in force.. at least 5 were regularly breaching the surface of the water in the marina and I stood there for quite a while watching the scene. I couldn't quite tear myself away from the sight. 

The world seemed quite perfect in that moment. Time seemed to stand still a little just so that I could understand and feel the perfection in my bones. 


Could the day get any better? 


I took to the calm waters and glided along, the rythm set by the paddle seemed to equate to my heart beating, the rythm of the river, the rythm of the natural world sliding past.. all became one and the same until I could no longer distinguish where my paddle ended and the water began. 


The river was quiet, with few signs of life along its banks or in the mangroves. The wind had picked up and rattled the water a little in places making it a little harder to pull the kayak along. I was not going into Coot bay today as I knew that this level of wind would make the return journey exceedingly unpleasant. 


Even as I neared Coot bay, it became difficult to maintain forward motion and as my time out was nearly up, I turned around and headed back slowly to the marina. I savoured every sound, every sight as all good things come to an end and my Everglades adventure was nearly done. 


The marina rolled into sight and as I rounded a corner, a warden motioned for me to keep gliding and pointed to a bank on the side of the slipway.  Lying there, teeth gleaming white, was a very large, very powerful 15ft Crocodile. This was possibly the greatest sighting I had had and provided me with an incredible selfie opportunity. 

Obviously careful not to drift too close, I manoevered to within around 15ft of the great beast and got the selfie of the decade. I then paddled over and handed my camera to a lady who had come to watch and she kindly took some photos of me, my kayak and the biggest croc I have ever seen. Not only that but this was the closest I have ever been…  no fence, no barrier stood between us…  it was an indescribable feeling… 


The crocodile exuded a primordial.. I hate to use the word…  aura. As I stared at him I gained a sense of eons of time, the millions of years that this apex predator had watched over the world, without needing to change, or adapt, as it was perfect at what it was, a perfect pedator for the millenia it had lived through. And I sensed all of that as I looked into its eyes… 


no barrier between us. 
















Comments

  1. Not quite the same as Crocodile world here in the uk, eh Lid!! I was wondering who else took the photos! Amazing pics and great blog.xx Mum

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Day 5... It's all downhill from here...

Day 17.. Blessings in the wind

Day 3... Hard hits