Day 10... homeward trails

 


This morning I packed up my tent in wind and rain... quickly. I threw it into the car without properly folding it up, wanting to get out of the cold wind.. it didn't really matter as I was winding my way back up the hebrides to Harris ready for the ferry over to skye tomorrow morning. The grey and drizzle didnt really matter... I had no real plans in mind for today, just to chill and while away the day until the ferry from N Uist was due to leave at 5pm.

So unsure what to do on such a grey day and with my kit dry at the moment, I headed off to an RSPB nature reserve. Birds have never really been my thing but in the absence of a reptile reserve, I had to make do.

The bird reserve was ok... its beach deserted as appears to be usual so I took a walk alomg the sands. Whilst there I saw the most extroadinary example of the art of nature. The sand had been carved into limes by the water running down it to the sea and it was stunningly beautiful. I took a photo which you see at the start of this blog.

The walk revealed very few birds, even they were hiding inside drinking hot chocolate. Time to move on...

I then wound my way to the ferry point, where I could sit and watch the seals lying on the shore. There also happened to be a nice cafe where I had a nice hot chocolate myself as well as the closest thing I could get to pizza.... mmm pizza!

Eventually the ferry arrived and I drove on and in a short time was back on Harris. I had been intending to go back to the beach campsite bit I thought I would try another one that I had passed on the way. It looked like it had nice spaces viewing over the loch... so I phoned and booked my spot there.

I drove up the other side of Harris and in doing so saw more hills and beaches that I would have liked to explore... it seems that the island that I most liked, I spent the least time. on. I decided that if I came back here, I would stay on Harris and not shoot round to any of the other islands. Harris seems to fit me better, a rugged landscape, plenty of places to kayak, loads of wild beaches and hills to climb. And the roads, fit for my bike wound round the hills on narrow roads.

I had to go back to Tarbert to find a cash machine to pay the campsite fee and then wound back round the roads to the Lickisto campsite.

It was a gem for sure. Spaces for tents that were secluded from other people, ready made fire pits (I had a whole load of kindling to use up) and a nice view over the loch. For future, it also had a slipway onto the loch for my kayak so that would be perfect.

My last night in the outer hebrides is not without some sadness. I have enjoyed biking, kayakking and walking my way round.

In all I have travelled by foot, bike or kayak 139. 81 miles which isn't bad at all. And whilst this is not quite the length of Offa's Dyke, I have 3 short trips planned in the coming months which should overhaul the 177 miles that the Offa's Dyke path stretches.

The camping kit stood up well to the to wind of these isles and I was pretty comfortable in my little tent.

So that about wraps it up for this set of blogs.

LHS














Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Day 5... It's all downhill from here...

Day 17.. Blessings in the wind

Day 3... Hard hits