Day 2... Wind and waves

 

I awoke day 2.. to the sounds of birds singing... and people. shouting across the campsite. Not ideal... the people I mean. The NC500 cyclists were packing up at an ungodly hour and weren't being hugely quiet about it. Once they left, I hunkered down again, thinking that the 10 hours kip I had had wasnt quite enough to shake off the 12 hour car journey! The rain was still hitting the tent and I was pretty cosy where I was... so I dozed off again😁

Once I got up... breakfast was the order of the day... now as I said, I'm trying out new things on my little stove... and fried egg seemed to work ok... put it in a roll and all is good with the world.

Todays plan was to take my kayak onto one of the sea lochs.. which means tides... togather with the wind and rain, thos was gonna be interesting.!

Now I havent totally gone into this half cocked you may be glad to hear. I did buy some  safety equipment and re subscribe to SPOT and the rescue insurance/button. I am always aware of the dangers inherent in solo anything and do. my best to be prepared for the worst... so far so good and the best bit of safety equipment you have is the bit you never need to use!

So geared up, I drove down from the campsite and scoured the lock shore for a decent place to launch. Bearing  in mind I haven't done this before on a tidal stretch of water. It was hard to find a place that satified my criteria. 

1)next to a parking spot

2)not near too many people in case I make a fool of myself

3)sheltered from the worst of the wind and rain

4)easy entry into the water.

Needless to say, with the tide out, there was nowhere conveniently near the water with an easy entry. It was good the tide was out because then I wouldnt have to fight the tide when I wanted to come back in, as it was now in the process of coming back in. But still no good place to launch for me.

I drove round the loch and stopped at a couple of other spots, but as the tide was so far out, it meant a lengthy carry to the waters edge, which I was trying to avoid.

A friendly local then advised that I try Sheldig, just over the mountains as there were good lunch places there. So I jumped im the car and took to the hills.

The road up and over was stunning, single track in places with passing areas. Sheep grazed at the sides and with the grey clouds and rain, the hills had gained a menacing quality, the sort that made you think twice about setting foot in them.

I reached the town and immediately found a good launching site... even with the tide out, it wasn't too bad a carry over the rocks and soon I found myself sitting in my kayak at the water's edge and pushed off.

This time I had attached the spray skirt and I immediately noticed how much warmer I felt because of it. I paddled out towards a little island, noting how the kayak met the waves head on with ease. I felt more confident and although still close to the coastline, didn't hug it quite as much. I then turned to cross the loch and as I went further out, the waves got bigger, the swell pitching me up and down. Even when they caught side on, it was ok, stable and not too scary. I reached another island and a little cove sheltered from the wind, the water remarkably calm in comparison. I sat there bibbing up and down, listening to the birds in the trees on the island. 

Then I headed out with the intent to go round the island. The wind ws stronger now and combined with the tide starting to rush in meant the waves were bigger... I hugged the protection of the island's shore. Enjoying the waves and the challenge of paddling against the flow. I reached an unprotected part and felt the power of the loch, even though not open water, still enough to ruin a day. 

Given that I am new at this, it was this point that my brain sent signals... this is the turnaround point. The wind was getting stronger and the rain falling harder... ahead clouds loomed. 

Turning around was not the easy thing at that point but finally managed and paddled back the way I came. 

I was strangely satisfied ... I hadn't gone far, or far out but for a first outing I had accomplished a good amount. If the weather had been nicer, I imagine a calm sunny day, I imagine even for me it would have been possible to attempt more but sense dictated to go back whilst the going was good. 

The paddle back to shore went pretty smoothly and I beached nicely. The hard work was then about to start, getting my kayak up the rocky beach and onto my car. 

This done, I set off up over the mountains again. The rain was constant but it did not diminish the view and it prompted me to stop, pull walking trousers over my wetsuit and set off up... straight up one of the hills. As I got higher the wind blew harder and the rain came down sideways.. but I did not care... I felt alive. And standing with my arms open into the wind at the top of the climb, I knew that whatever the weather for the week or so, it will not stop me enjoying every second of breathing the air and watching the sun rise and fall in this beautiful place. 

I drove back to the campsite, ready for food and the warmth of my sleeping bag.  Fingers crossed it stops raining long enough to cook! 











Comments

  1. Not sure the sunglasses were necessary! Enjoying the blogs posts again

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hehe... They also protect my eyes from the wind 😁

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Day 5... It's all downhill from here...

Day 17.. Blessings in the wind

Day 3... Hard hits