The days after the day before...

I woke up on the morning of day 3 in pain... aching all over and with a bruised coccyx (Im hoping that is how it is spelt) getting up hurt and sitting back down hurt even more.  Probably as a result of the not so elegant crash to earth and a muscle shredding 9 miles of skiing yesterday... not great. Today was surely a day to take it a bit easy. The snow was still falling and the new piles of snow were being bulldozered away diring my walk to breakfast. I resolved to stick to the easy paths today and the plan was to ski down the tracks that I had done the first day but instead of going to the goldmine path, I would head instead to a cafe that I had been told about.
Getting the ski boots on wasnt easy... on top of the aforementioned injuries, I also had a very squished little toe on my right foot as a result of the poinding it got yesterday. Despite that I hauled my boots on, grabbed my skis and went out into the frozen world.... 

Still as beautiful but because of the extra snow that had fallen, it seemed even more peaceful than before. Sound deadened and a world without anuthing except the rythnic squeak from my skis and poles. It is peace like I have never known. Not even in the wilds of Canada or the expanse of Montana has it been sooooo quiet. Even though they were similarlly devoid of people, there were the sounds of wildlife and water and wind to accompany me there. That and my singing... but the less mentioned about that.. the better. Here instead of  'Bear Necessities', I could have got away with 'Hare Necessities' due to all the tracks in the snow.. but it would have been a tenuous link for sure.

Even though I didnt get to see the Northern lights, I have been treated to slme of the most beautiful skies around.  The shades of blue mixed with red and orange reflecting off the clouds has generally been spectacular and worth a visit for that alone.
I was asked by a friend whether I preferred Finland or Norway, and although Norway was beautiful, it didnt have that otherworldly beauty that this place has, although the hotel food in Norway was far far better!

One moment to mention on this short ski to the cafe... the tracks turned a corner and just before I reached the spot I noticed that other had left ski tracks that left the track meaning the integrity of the track was compromised. This would usually result inmy skis leavong the track, my legs going in separate directions and yup you've guessed it... landing flat on my arse.... except this time it didn't. 
My skis left the track on the bend but I managed to have some semblance of control... stay upright and reach the bottom of the slope without catastrophe. It's a small victory for my skiing improvement but a victory nonetheless! 

The cafe was a charming log cabin with a fire and wooden tables... some good hot chocolate and mini pizzas.... it reminded me of a little cabin in the peak district where I spent some happy times, with its cozy ambience and roaring fire.

The journey back was hard... all the snow made the going less easy and the uphills were a struggle for my aching muscles but still it reminded me of thw joys of being outside in the fresh air taking in the sights and smells of snow capped pine. idyllic really and yet I would also like to see this place in summer, to see the transformation that Spring and warmer weather brings. 

The next day the pain had subsided a little and once again I found myself outside, striding and gliding up and down the slopes. The sunrise and sunset were both spent staring at the orange horizon and burning the beauty of it onto my brain to last until the next time. 
That evening I went for a short walk away from the lights of the hotel but alas the cloud cover was still absolute and very little of the sky could be seen. No northen lights for me this trip.

And then it was time to return my skis, pack and get ready for the early morning bus back to the airport and flight home, this time direct to Gatwick with no bouncing around countries. Its still snowing here as I wait for the bus to the airport and although Im sad to leave, im looking forward to being warm again...

For one adventure to begin, another has to end.... What's next? 

Comments

  1. Beautiful colours in the sky. A Narnia-type scene. Great blog. xxmum

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Day 5... It's all downhill from here...

Day 17.. Blessings in the wind

Day 3... Hard hits