Day 20 .. Back to absolute reality


I had to get up very early in order to catch the boat back to ‘civilization’. Breakfast at 0500... boat at 0530!! It did mean that I got to see the dawn rising again and marvel at the colours...
That was about the only benefit. I thanked the staff that cooked all the meals and left them a tip and contrary to the English person in me, gave a tip to Fernando for his efforts in finding the elusive animals of the jungle. And then into the waiting boat for the 4 hour trip back to Coca.

The trip back seemed much quicker than on the way out and it was with a little surprise that I realised we were already back at the port of Coca.  I was greeted with noise from the docks and people waiting to board boats, traffic beeping their horns.... a far cry from the peace I had left behind.   I had formulated a plan on the way back... I still had three days before I needed to be back in Quito...  perhaps I could organise another trip. I had been very lucky in how many animals I had seen in the jungle, but there was one nagging omission... no snakes.

Given that reptiles would rank as my favourite class of animal, this was a disgrace. Most of all I would love to see an anaconda in the wild. The heaviest snakes in the world, they are a prehistoric looking creature, beautifully camouflaged for the environment they lived in. I would need more than a small dose of luck to glimpse one, but it was worth a few more days of looking... if the budget would allow it!

I remembered seeing a ‘travel agent’ on the way to the docks 5 days ago and I decided to ask there. On the way there I found another one and went to enquire about the feasibility of an anaconda hunting trip. The gentleman there came up.with a plan and then told me a price... I couldnt justify spending that much on 3 days...perhaps the anaconda hunt would have to be shelved.

I wandered up the road to Amazon Travel, where I met a chap called Pedro, who on hearing my budget came up with a plan for travel around 3 lagoons where I might find an anaconda... just over budget, I agreed to the price. Cash only of course so I asked him where the nearest ATM was. He offered me a lift on the back of his motorbike, adding to the multitude of modes of transport I am taking on this journey.
Fortunately there were no cash flow problems this time and I went away from Amazon travel with a booking for another 3 days in the jungle starting from tomorrow. I went away wuth a spring in my step... I didnt have to return to reality properly just yet!
That said, a night in the Imperial Coca Hotel was not without its benefits. Having been in the jungle for 5 days with 1 pair of  trousers, 1 pair of shorts (still damp) and one pair of socks (able to walk on their own), it was with pleasure that I discovered that the hotel had a laundry service!!! Clothes bagged up and handed to the desk clerk, I discovered that the service was just him dashing over to the laundry down the street... still clean clothes, worth every penny!!!!

I discovered as I went for a shower that a mosquito had gone to town, literally biting pretty much every inch of my arse and the backs of my legs... It looked like a chickenpox outbreak ( apologies if too much info) ... what with that and the thousands of bites on my hands (fingers are the worst) elbows, legs, feet... I guess you could say that the bugs had a field day...
It led to a slightly restless night for me!!
Hopefully the next lot of mosquitoes would decide I had already been claimed and leave me alone!
Back out to the jungle tomorrow... cant wait!!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 5... It's all downhill from here...

Day 17.. Blessings in the wind

Day 3... Hard hits