That filthy word....



Firstly.... clear your minds of whatever filth that came into your mind when you read the title of this blog....

I meant 'training'!

I'm not a person who trains well... if at all if I can help it. I would much prefer to suffer that bit more if it means I needn't spend hours practicing for the real thing.

Lets face it... I got away with in on Route 66, and New Zealand. But I have to face up to the fact that my Tour Divide attempt may have gone better, if I had put a few more hours training in...equally it may not have done, but I am left wondering a little.
I don't doubt that I gave everything I had at the time and expended every ounce of strength I had... but there is still a slight what if left revolving round my brain.

Add that to the inevitable fact that age makes it harder. I can still go out, with little to no training and hike 20 miles up hills.... but my muscles certainly let me know about it the next day. 

This year... 2019 is going to be the biggest year of challenges I have ever had and therefore I must conquer training in order to conquer the challenges.

So why do I find training hard...
partly because after big challenges, my motivation to get on a bike, walk up a hill, or do anything remotely exercise related dwindles exponentially. I compare the terrain and scenery with the stunning places I have ridden through and it leaves me a bit bored and underwhelmed...

I hate the gym... even more boring....

Training usually needs to start during those dreary winter months when getting out kit for the cold and then packing it all away seems to take so much time and effort... not to mention cleaning all the mud off tyres and chains and boots...

But this year is going to be different!

I joined a gym... one within 5 minutes of my door, reducing the amount of effort it takes to get there and therefore the amount of excuses not to go. The gym is easier to prepare for ... takes less effort to get out the door... and requires no cleaning up afterwards.

To keep myself from getting bored, I try and vary the workouts, and don't just stick to the bike.  I'm also trying to build some strength training in, and mixing up some endurance with cardio. So far I have managed to get to the gym 7 out of 10 days, including through a run of night shifts. The key, I find is not to do too long in each session, but make the most of a shorter amount of time. I will also try to fit in a few spin classes, as I find those good fun, and the intensity is hard to beat.

Mixing it up!

Given that my challenges this year are incredibly varied ...
Cross country skiing
London to Paris by bike
15 peaks of North Wales
Ecuador Dirt Road Valley of the Volcanos ride
Cotopaxi climb 

it stands to reason that every single muscke in my body needs to be ready for the impact it is going to receive. Because of this and also helping to fight the boredom, I am trying to mix it up with different types of training.

I purchased a pair of off road roller skis, partly to help prepare for the cross country skiing, but also as a form of total body exercise. I keep them in my car, so that if im on the way home from somewhere, I can divert to the nearest suitable place and get in some practice.... easy!  (not the skiing... that's bloody hard)

Mountain bike.... ok... its safe to say that sitting on a bike has not been my first thought that comes into my head... but the plan is to start getting back out there... short rides to start with ... culminating in a longer ride with full equipment before I set off for the big one in September.  I'm awaiting my new bike build, but in the meantime have my trusty TREK which went through hell and back with me last summer.

Road biking... gotta get back out on the roads... once spring springs it will be far more enjoyable to throw on the lycra and get the legs in gear again...

Walking... an activity that is great no matter what the weather, especially if a friend or two comes along. I went for a ten mile hike with some mates the other day, it hurt a bit but re-opened my eyes to the beauty of the countryside which is literally outside my back door. Just shove on some hiking shoes and away I go!!


Bite sized chunks!

Training is hard enough, without convincing yourself that if you go for a ride, it has to be 40 miles, or if you go to the gym, it has to be for 3 hours. For me, the key is to do something most days of the week, with the occasional mammoth session etched into there every so often. 1 hour at the gym, a ten mile ride, 30 minutes off road rollerskiing. With the busy lives we lead, fitting in a 5 hour ride, along with kit prep and cleanup isn't all that easy... fitting in 30 minutes to 1 hour every day is much more managable... and for the time being...when the fun stops... STOP!

As each challenge approaches, I may have to ignore the last point and remember instead my favourite saying when I am out on the road...

Pain is weakness leaving the body!

I'm no stranger to suffering out on the road, I have made a hobby out of it but if I suffer a bit more pain in the run up to Ecuador, whilst I will probably still suffer, hopefully this time I will be up to the challenge I set myself. 

Don't forget, you can follow every step of the pain by following this blog and liking my facebook page 'One Challenge At A Time'. 
All the challenges I face throughout this year will be told with photos, blogs, my SPOT tracker and the occasional vlog.

I hope you have strapped yourself in for the ride!


Profile of Ecuador North to South ride
starting September 7th 2019



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 5... It's all downhill from here...

Day 17.. Blessings in the wind

Day 3... Hard hits