The joys of travel...


I got up early this morning... primarily because last night I couldn't be arsed to take my bike apart and pack it into the bike bag (soft shell from AW Cycles). So that meant that I was up and about at 0700... wielding a spanner and a bike tool to reduce my bike into a series of parts.

This is easier than it sounds... especially with a little practice. First the wheels (taking care to have undone the lead for my dynamo) then the seatpost and saddle... then the pedals and finally the handlebars. These are all then carefully inserted into the bag... taking care to refix important screws... and not to drop anything down the gaps in my decking. Lastly and new to me was to unbolt the rear derailleur and tape it to my frame... making sure that my new mech hanger (important part) was then protected with packaging. 

Once this had been accomplished... it was time to feed my snakes ... check passport and money... pack the car... and then wait to go... I was ready well before I had to leave so sat twiddling my thumbs for a bit.

Finally it was time to hop in the car and brave both the M4 and the M25. Fortunately I think most people were staying at home to watch the England game... so the roads weren't too bad.

The drive to London Southend Airport passed smoothly... parked in the long stay car park and then dragged both bike and kit the short hop to the departures area...

By this time I was well and truly sweating.

I had hoped to avoid the match result but fat chance of that as the entire airport was glued to screens... chants of Its coming home' and shouts of 'Get in' rang round the empty space... and when a huge shout went up... I figured England had scored!

Finally boarding ... after the inevitable plane delay... apparently the Jersey gate staff weren't very good at opening doors on time! The flight was uneventful... as all good flights should be... and we touched down in Malaga to a balmy 28°C.

Then the hassle... finding the shuttle to the car hire place and the inevitable q there. Still it wasnt as bad as it could have been with one couple having to fork out an extra £300 for their car due to having no mastercard or visa credit card. Still their week has to get better... at least I hope so as they are out here to get married!

So with a deep breath... I got in the wrong side of the car... reached for the gearstick ... which wasn't there... tried to remember how automatics worked... and then drove off... with the boot open!

Once that mistake had been rectified... I left the carhire place around 22:30... set my satnav... and tentatively drove off on the wrong side of the road. It was now dark and it was pretty unnerving ... unfamiliar windy roads .. in the dark... on the wrong side of the car... on the wrong side of the road... so I drove slowly...talking to myself as I went...
Look Left... stay on the Right...

Look Left ... stay on the Right

It took a load of concentration and as both the miles and minutes ticked by.. I decided that the car would not be driven much on this holiday!

I arrived later than I was aiming for at the hotel but fortunately my arrival was awaited and I got shown to a nice room.. 

There I set my charging going and settled down. The gentleman had asked when I wanted breakfast but 0700 didnt seem to be suitable for him so we settled on 0800 😁

So bed now... unpack the bike in the morning... and then go find the adventure!!

Nite x



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 5... It's all downhill from here...

Day 17.. Blessings in the wind

Day 3... Hard hits