One Challenge at a time....

New challenges ... new blog

It's wierd but as I start this new (all encompassing) blog - I'm actually sad not to be writing on the Route 66 blog any more.  It's kinda like been there, done that, what's next.  Perhaps I'm a little cursed in that I'm not the sort of person to sit back and enjoy what's in the past but have a need to be planning the next thing... the next adventure.

It's also a little scary... bear with me...  because once again i'm setting out to do something where there is a high possibility of failure.. only this time the expectation of myself.. from myself .... is higher.

As I signed off from the other blog I spent a good 5 minutes looking at the posts from family and friends and once again would like to thank you all for the messages of encouragement...

But as I am wont to do - and as you might be aware.. I'm now planning a cycle trip from North to South New Zealand and already people are coming out with offers for assistance and contacts ...

Broadly speaking so far my plans are this...

Once again 4 weeks - but due to the nature of the terrain I will be aiming for around 70-80 miles per day... I know i said Route 66 wasn't flat - but New Zealand makes America look like the proverbial pancake.

The weather may be more unpredictable - rain though is almost guarranteed - even in summer - it isn't one of the greenest places on earth for no reason..

I am aiming to plan another gig at the end of my ride - this may take a bit more effort but hope to get LHS involved and swabbing there too

There are tentative plans for a friend to take a holiday t the same time as my ride and drive an RV - so that we can meet up at the end of each day BUT as I always have a plan B - Plan B will be camping sometimes and proper accomodation when available...

Camping would mean carrying a tent, sleeping bag and liner minimum ... This = less clothes in my head!

I would like to take my new light fast road bike - but (again a BUT) this would depend on many many things in my plans that I cannot make a decision on this at the moment....

Route mapping has been broadly done and it looks a daunting task - many many uphills, miles of road without civilisation (usually a great thing in my book) - but this will need to be done in greater detail... day by day sorta thing, with planned places to stop.

WiFi might be less available in the middle of nowhere so would have to brace myself for coping without Facebook... (OMG)

A couple of days off have been planned in my head for sightseeing at the Franz Joseph Glacier!!!

So that's where I've got to so far... BUT (hopefully the last one) although February 2016 is a way away - I know how quickly time flies and how many other little things will need to be thought of...

Already I have had the ...What if this happens, or Have you thought about this... from several people - my answer - Not yet but it's on my list!

And as for Route 66 -  Don't see it as the end of something - rather the beginning of something else....


Comments

  1. Hi, I did'nt think there was so much more than 'just' peddling...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Day 5... It's all downhill from here...

Day 17.. Blessings in the wind

Day 6... Silence the Gods